Licensure, Certification Requirements, and Career Enhancement
Over the course of the past few modules you have learned about the theories of substance abuse counseling. This includes the ethical principles of counseling, ways to apply these principles, and the development of treatment plans, as well as many other areas applicable to substance abuse counseling. You discussed and answered questions about how to deal with specific situations in counseling, how to work with clients, and how to develop a theoretical framework.
By now you will have come to the conclusion that your education as a substance abuse counselor does not stop here. There are many career enhancement resources available to substance abuse counselors. To prepare for this final discussion question, explore the following resources for both career enhancement and licensure or certification requirements:
- AIDiction Technology Transfer Center National Office (ATTC). (2011). Certification information. Retrieved from http://www.nattc.org/getCertified.asp
- National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC). (2010). Retrieved from http://www.naadac.org/
Using the information you have examined on the recommended Web sites listed above, respond to the following questions:
- Explain which of the treatment techniques discussed in this course you will use the most in your career and why?
- Identify the areas in substance abuse counseling that you need for future learning to help you in your career and include at least one career enhancement resource available to substance abuse counselors that will help you meet this goal.
- Explore the licensure or certification requirements in your state. What are the steps to obtain licensure or certification in your state? Identify the continuing education requirements for maintaining your licensure or certification in your state.
Write your initial response in approximately 300400 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources